05 Nov Recipe for Santa’s Whiskers
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces red candied cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated. With the mixer on low, add the flour in 3 batches, followed by the cherries and the pecans, and stir until just combined, about 2 minutes. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a 10-inch-long log, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Transfer each log to a sheet of wax paper, roll the wax paper around each log, cover in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and a second rack in the lower third then preheat to 375°F.
- Slice each log crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick cookies and arrange on baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between cookies. Bake, switching the baking sheets between the upper and lower racks about halfway through baking, until light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Continue baking cookies on cooled baking sheets. DO AHEAD: The cookies can be baked ahead and stored, in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 3 days.
So I found out the whiskers are supposed to be coconut, if you want to use it, roll the logs in 3/4 cup coconut before you wrap in waxed paper. My mom hates coconut, so we never had it on the cookies, and they were really good anyway.
I wasn’t actually going to post another recipe so soon, except you all responded so incredibly positively to the sausage balls. I am guessing by now several of you have already made them and hope that you love them as much as I do.
BTW: There are still a few tickets left to our holiday party, if you would like to get one, click HERE. I hope you can attend, we are very excited about the decor this year, and there are some incredible gifts and some amazing vintage pieces!